Thursday, August 28, 2014

Firsts. Again.

The summer is drawing to a close, and I must say that we had a wonderful and action-packed summer.  It included several trips to the beach, visits with family and friends, amusement parks, aquariums, picnics, playgrounds, and a whole lot of fun.

While this resulted in many terrific memories made, it also made one tired mommy.  Phew.  I was pretty excited to see the "Back to School" roll outs taking place in the stores.




Our summer officially ended last week when school began.  My big girl, Eveley Joy, is in the second grade and enjoying school almost as much as her mother.  She insists that she would beat me in "Around the World" math games, but I highly doubt it.  She's definitely her mother's daughter.

But this is a brand new beginning for Mr. Caleb, affectionately referred to as Captain Awesome.  He began Kindergarten at the same school as Eveley.  It is a full day and begins and ends with the most awesome of events, according to Caleb -- riding the school bus.

Caleb is not very similar to me.  His amazing brain works very differently from mine, so I find myself studying him to figure out how best to communicate with and encourage him.  We weren't exactly sure how he would react to a new school.  Caleb had a terrific time last year in Transitional Kindergarten.  He is already reading and writing stories.  (Most of them are about megalodons, Mario, or the Ultrasaurus.)  We weren't too concerned about him academically but prayed he would enjoy this year just as much as last.

We all gathered at the bus stop to see them off.  As they drove away, I was praying that they would be surrounded by good friends, make good decisions, and be a light in the darkness.  And I was praying that Caleb would not try to get off the bus at the next stop.




It's going to be sweet having them at the same school, right?!


About fifteen minutes later, I received a text from my neighbor up the road.  She took this as she put her daughter on the bus.



Enough said.

Later that afternoon,  I waited at the bus stop for their return.  Caleb ran off the bus and down the hill yelling, "THAT WAS AWESOME!"

Sending our children off to school is teaching me a number of life lessons.  These children are not mine.  They are a gift from the Lord.  I am responsible to train and equip them to be their best selves in this world and to make a difference for God's glory.  At some point, they must make their own choices and decisions.  That is a hard one.  I trust my judgment better than theirs!  But walking with them through the process is teaching us all about grace, mercy, and unconditional love.

The twins are staying home with me.  But I cannot tell you the difference in our days.  I will be honest.  This week, having Caleb and Eveley at school from 7:00 until 2:40 has made me feel like this.





No comments: