Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My #1

This post contains no bathroom humor.  Promise.

But this is my #1

Sweet Caleb turned 3 this past week.  He has gotten a little gypped over the years as his birthday falls just after Thanksgiving, my birthday, and right before Christmas.

But I was determined this year -- come hell or high water -- that we would have a special party and celebration for this little boy.  It turned out to resemble Hanukkah a little more than a birthday since it lasted nearly a week.  But this boy felt special.  And that was my #1 goal.

His birthday was on Thursday.  I planned his actual birthday party -- with just some family friends -- for the weekend.  But I still wanted to acknowledge and celebrate his actual birthday.  So, I greeted him that morning with a big hug and kiss and told him it was his birthday.  He just growled at me and yelled, "No it's not!"

Whatever.

We took donut holes for his little class at MOPS that day.  I warned his teachers that he may yell at them if they decided to sing.  But I was still determined to make him feel special.

I made him a special birthday meal -- barbecue chicken and mashed potatoes (something he will actually eat).



Eveley and I made some sugar cookies for our family dessert.  This is THE BEST plain jane cookie recipe ever. (Recipe to follow)  We called these Stir and Drop cookies, because that's literally all you do.  Topped with some green buttercream (we let Caleb choose the color) and some red sprinkles, these were the perfect way to celebrate that evening.


I let him sample one while we were waiting for Dad to come home.




We had a nice evening and let Caleb open a few presents from his grandparents.

That weekend, we had Caleb's actual birthday party.  In the past, I have LOATHED character-based parties.  I'm  not much of a name brand girl.  No LV or red-soled shoes for me.  So I tend to shy away from specific character party planning.  But my little Caleb LOVES Thomas the Train.  This is probably a familiar story for any of you who have had a boy. And you have heard the "Thomas, you're my #1" theme song a few hundred times.

What is it about these little trains?  It must be the British accents.

Remembering my goals -- make Caleb feel special without losing my mind -- I opted for a different kind of take on a Thomas cake.

My rainbow cakes never fail me.  So we went with Thomas' colors.




and ended up with this.


This was a homemade Buttermilk Cake with Cream Icing.  Absolutely delicious!  (Recipe to follow)


And the train was handmade out of fondant.

Joke.










It was a wonderful week-long birthday celebration for our sweet Caleb.

Now, when you ask Caleb, "Are you 3?"  he yells, "No, I'm #1."

We agree.

***************************************************

Stir and Drop Cookies
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 t vanilla
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t salt
Mix all together with spoon.  Drop on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes until brown around edges.

Buttermilk Cake
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 t vanilla
Beat shortening at medium speed with mixer until creamy.  Gradually add sugar, beating well.  Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
Combine flour, salt, and soda.  Add to shortening mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.  Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.  Stir in vanilla.  Pour into 3 greased 8-inch round cakepans.
Bake at 350 for around 24 minutes.

Cream Frosting
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1 pound confectioner's sugar
  • 1 t vanilla
Beat butter until creamy.  Add sugar and cream, mixing well.  Mix in vanilla.  (I used a double recipe to get thick icing in between layers.)


ENJOY!



Photobucket
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Pilgrim Days said...

This totally cracked me up because my Creed who turned 3 in May insisted it was not his birthday on his birthday. He plays with his trains every single day and knows every Thomas character and can act out parts for them. I don't do character stuff either (except underwear and occasionally jammies)yet I have this Thomas the Train pullover wrapped for him for Christmas because I know it is going to send him right over the moon. Happy Birthday Caleb!! Enjoy the Threes!

Kelly said...

Happy Belated Birthday Caleb!!! I cannot believe his 3 wow! He is 1!!!

Lauren Avery said...

They're getting so old. Bennett's about to have his bday, too. :)