Saturday, January 1, 2011

Christmas Reflections

One thing you think I would have learned by now is that life is unpredictable. Especially with young children. You can schedule, plan, and organize every minute of the day. But with one whim of your little one, you will often be required to throw the paperwork out the window and roll with it, baby.

Case in point. I bought matching pajamas for Caleb and Eveley -- cute Christmas monkey pjs which I let them open Christmas Eve night. They would be so cute on Christmas morning - Eveley in pink and Caleb in green - and the pictures look great. Well, Eveley decided she "wants her feet to be cold" so she refused to wear the footy pajamas. No matter how much I begged or fake cried. So I will have to remember "No footy pjs" if we are to carry on this tradition.



We had a sweet Christmas Eve service at church and then Bob and I stayed up late putting all the finishing touches on the gifts.


I woke up at 5:30 on Christmas morning. I was too excited. So I went downstairs, made some coffee, and did some laundry. Festive.

Bob finally got up around 6:45 and we were able to have our own quiet Christmas time together and exchange gifts. Eveley came downstairs after 7 but Caleb was still sound asleep. Bob and I both tried to wake him up, but he wouldn't budge. So we decided to let Eveley go ahead and open up several of her presents. Bob led us in a prayer and then asked Eveley if she would like to pray. She bowed her head and said, "Dear Jesus, thank you for saving us from our sins." Bob and I almost cried. What a sweet gift.








Caleb finally joined us and we finished up the gifts.





Caleb's main gift was a train table filled with Thomas characters. I don't know what the big deal is about this show, but my Caleb is absolutely obsessed with it. He screams "My Thomas" as soon as he wakes up and loves to play with the trains and watch the cartoons. I think this gift was a pretty smart choice!



After we had a Christmas brunch, we hurriedly packed the car and headed to "The Sweetest Place on Earth," Hershey, PA.


The kids already have chocolate mustaches.




We met Bob's parents and aunt and uncle there and had a great few days together. "Vacations" take on a totally different meaning when you have a strong-willed 3 year old and a stronger-willed 2 year old. Nevertheless, it was a fun time.




We stayed at the Hershey Lodge where the Hershey characters make periodic appearances. Our kids went nuts when they would see the Kit Kat or Peppermint Patty walking around the hotel. Caleb would scream "Waaaiiittt!!' and chase them all through the lobby. I couldn't count how many family pictures Caleb interrupted. And Eveley was stalking them either giving them a spanking or kicking them in the shins.





We had our fill of chocolate. If that's possible. They had hidden Hershey kisses all throughout our suite, chocolate butter at breakfast, frozen hot chocolates, and chocolate shampoo and conditioner in the bathrooms. Pretty great for a pregnant woman.






I haven't blogged about this much, but my sweet Caleb is an iPhone addict. He absolutely loves it and would play on it for hours...literally. I really try to strategically plan his iPhone time -- waiting for a table at a restaurant, grocery shopping, my bath time. He will not move. While on vacation, I did let him play it during the afternoon so we could just sit by the fire and read or talk.

When he would see a character walking by, he would jump up from his seat and yell for it to stop. But as soon as it would stop and turn to look at him, he would resume his game. It was pretty rude, but hilarious.



Like father, like son.




After returning from Hershey on Monday night, the kids and I repacked and headed to Tennessee to spend a few days with my family celebrating a late Christmas together.

The kids were making memories with the cousins.








I was spending time getting to know the new brothers in law.




We had a wonderful Christmas 2010. But we are glad to be home and are spending the day un-decking the halls and reflecting on our family's purpose for the new year.



Photobucket

2 comments:

Clare said...

sounds like a wonderful christmas!! did you think hershey was fun for the kids? what did you guys do there?

myboysrock said...

Sounds like so much fun! If I saw a giant Kit Kat walking around I would definitely chase it too....
Glad yall had a good Christmas! Love you!